Skip to main content

The curious case of a Wandering mind

My mind kept drifting away. I was trying hard to sit and concentrate. I was fidgeting. It’s so difficult to make yourself to sit and listen to something which you are actually forced to listen to, something which you have to listen  to ,and for something which you don’t want to listen, that too for 4 hours without a break.
             Just the previous day I was conversing with my friend as to how she sits and concentrates at her CA classes for like 9 hours at a stretch! It’s so hard.
  So after this conversation with her, the next day while I was sitting at a session, I decided to keep a track of how many times my mind keeps wandering away like in an hour. More than listening to what was happening in the session, I was keeping track of the numbers, and how it kept increasing an increment of one every five minutes. (Yes really short).
            Here is the list of things, where my mind wanders to during boring conversations or classes:
1.      Night out /Hangouts with friends
2.      A single pizza eaten by 8 of us( when broke)
3.      A flirtatious exchange of smiles with a stranger.
4.      Finding money in your old jeans.
5.      Lazy weekends
6.      The chocolate larva cake
7.      Reading old emails.
8.      The crazy pictures taken.
9.      The conversation you just had , totally oblivious to world around

 My mind wanders in abstract, goes back in time, fast-forwards to the future – moving from one edge of wishful thinking to the next. This happens especially when I’m sitting at a session which goes on more than an hour.
While at engineering it was easy to get away from those boring classes, even if you weren’t listening, as each class would not last more than an hour.
There, we knew the trick to escape those sudden encounters from your professors while in class. The best tricks were to Zone out, try and remember the last sentence he said, just in case they shoot a question at you to prove you were listening. I had developed a talent of having one ear listen to what they say, but think about something else entirely. Then, if he called on me, announces important information, or the class reacts to some exciting - or not so exciting - news, ("There's a test tomorrow", or "No homework!") you can replay what you just heard with one ear, and you won't have missed anything.
The easiest one was to draw or doodle things on notebook, be it cartoons, shapeless blobs, and anything else that tickles your fancy. Glance up at the professor often, so it seems like you are paying attention and writing down everything.
Reading novels was another way. This was pretty simple and most feasible way, though I wouldn’t suggest this as it reminds me of the day I got  caught in class for reading Chetan Bhagat’s ‘The three mistakes of Life’, and he made a big issue out of it, as he saw the F word while he was rummaging through the pages.
This blog post started off something to do with my attention span, but it turns our that I’m listing more about things-to-do when you don’t want to listen to boring lectures.


             Concentric circles! My friend suggested. Try that! “According to a research drawing concentric circles would help increase attention span”, she said. And she laughed at her own idea, and concluded that I was normal and would not need that.
  When I listen to such advice, especially when they conclude that I don’t need it, I tend to try them. I did try them. Two, three, four, five concentric circles, and boom!  My attention towards concentric circles died.
            Later when I was describing this entire ‘short attention span syndrome’ to my friend , I asked her as to where her mind wanders off while listening about DFSort, Database, Redefines….or whether she really concentrates??
            She glares at me for a while and gives me a blank expression and asks ‘What were you just saying??’!!!

            

Comments

  1. NO new article from last one month? What happend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing interestin happenin except for my routine travelling everyday:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last one is we-know-whom!!! :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Magnet:Iron:: Attention: We= Fame Hoggers

It's Correlated! When you are in love,it's all the attention that you get which makes you fall in love again and all over again. Love without attention? Naah. That never exists. Some people crave for it some people live with it and for some it just so comes naturally. Well craving for attention is nothing wrong. But trying really hard for it? You'll get all the wrong attention which you definitely didn't want! Now that's the thing you don't want to get into. Here are some brush throws; you can consider it to be a tip or a forewarning! Suit yourself. 1. Facebook - Get Face booked! Sneak into your enemy's profile, how many likes has she/he got. That itch, she has more likes than you? Damn!DP change. Get a professional photographer and get it clicked naturally or hang out with sexy girls who just wear sexy clothes and get a picture clicked in a club or make the background look like the most happening party of the Hollywood/Bollywood industry. Well fo

Arjun Reddy -The narcissistic asshole

Arjun Reddy shooting for another of his movies at the age of 44, older the better. With his looks, tall, broad shoulders and dimply smile he holds the bat to hit an out of the boundary and score the last score to make his team win. He smiles at the British lady and the British lady rapes him with her eyes. It’s a wrap up, Woman Assistant director, runs around assisting, taking notes from the famous director Rajassmougly and has her hair roughly tied up like a bun with nerdy glasses and taking notes and attentively listening and meticulously pinning down everything heard and seen. Alias Arjun Reddy, sits down on his chair resting his feet after the hectic shoot and brushes off his   beard with his hand and inattentively tries to make an eye contact with the Assistant director who is devotedly trying to bullet her points. Alias Arjun Reddy asks for fruit juice and spills out half his drink and mixes the other half with a bourbon and shakes his drink obediently and still looking

American Tangled

After a hiatus, here I am, back ! I decided I won't be writing until I touch the border of the United States Of America! It's a race my friend said. And it was! One year down, the process..Naah, I won't be talkin bout it! It's a long process like chemical reactions and pathways involving a fatty acid which has a never ending chain length. I have a lot to catch up on, after the long break . Two weeks down, a lot happening. Well right now I have a bunch of guys hanging around, screaming at top of their voices like competing who can scream the loudest and jumping and dancing and  totally lost. Yeah a bunch of totally high hit dramatic boys. Hah, I've been recording the few of their acts, including their gay acts. It's funny though to watch them. Recorded and saved! :) United states of America ! My daughter studies in America , my parents are saying it aloud. But what exactly do I do? Hah. I love this picture which i stole it form someone's wall...--------